BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] backup hangs, CPU usage high

2008-09-03 13:06:01
Subject: [BackupPC-users] backup hangs, CPU usage high
From: David Koski <david AT kosmosisland DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 10:04:55 -0700
Lately, one machine has started to hang on backup.  It was a Linux machine,
now it is a Windows 2003 Server machine that hangs.  The state of the machine
stays at "backup in progress" but there is no network traffic and the CPU
usage is at 100 percent, with two BackupPC_dump processes, one using slightly
more CPU than the other but with a total of 100 percent.  I have changed the
RsyncArgs and RsyncRestoreArgs options for "--devices" to "-D".

Backuppc Version: 2.1.2-6
Backuppc host OS: Debian 4.0 (Etch)
kernel: 2.6.12.6-xen
All packages up to date.

Today I increased XferLogLevel to 6 and ran the dump manually and got the
following error message in a repeating loop:

  create     0         /           0
attribSet(dir=fswsoft, file=)
attribSet(dir=fswsoft, file=)
makeSpecial(/var/lib/backuppc/pc/fp2003/new//fswsoft/, 9, )
Can't open /var/lib/backuppc/pc/fp2003/new//fswsoft/ for empty output\n

Oddly, the directory /var/lib/backuppc/pc/fp2003/new did not exist but I was
able to create it.  I do have free inodes and I forced fsck.ext3 on the
filesystems and they were clean.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Regards,
David Koski