BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] hanging on building file list

2008-09-03 10:33:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] hanging on building file list
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 00:33:15 +1000

Michael Cockrell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have installed backuppc recently on about 15 servers. 12 are linux
> (different flavors) and 3 windows. The windows are using rsyncd whereas
> the linux ones are using rsync. Everything is working great on all but
> two servers. For some reason on two of the servers it never initiates a
> file transfer. It seems like it just hangs while building the file list
> and it will stay like that forever. I have yet to get a complete backup
> of these servers. I don’t know if this has anything to do with it but
> these are both web servers hosting php sites. If anyone has any ideas
> please let me know.

Nothing specific, but have you tried the following:
1) Running a fsck on the machines having problems
2) Checking the log files on the problem machines
3) Running something like tar -cvf - / > /dev/null
4) Running memory tests on the machines
5) Using strace to see what the rsync processes on the problem machines
are doing....
6) If the disks are IDE or SATA you may be able to use smart to check
the drives

Those are the main ones I can think of right now, let us know how they
go, and someone else might have some extra suggestions as well....

BTW, your description, while probably quite accurate, lacks a lot of
detail. Perhaps you don't know how to find additional detail, so a
couple of clues (if you don't need them someone else might who might see
this)...

1) Use tcpdump to see if the network is doing things, use the -s and -A
flags depending on what protocol you are using to see more info.

2) Use wireshark to analyse the flow of data throughout the
conversation, it can sometimes pinpoint strange IP flags or hiccups

3) Use strace, especially the -ff and -o flags are useful

4) Always read the man page, you can usually get some sort of debug info
from programs

5) Read the man pages for the above commands to learn about some of
these basic building blocks of diagnostics... I've found them to be
exceptionally helpful over the years, but as always, there is more than
one way to do things, and these days, more than one tool for the same
job....

Hope it helps anyway...

Regards,
Adam