BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] NAS performance over NFS

2008-09-01 20:59:25
Subject: [BackupPC-users] NAS performance over NFS
From: "Stephen Vaughan" <stephenvaughan AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 10:59:19 +1000
Hi,

We have backuppc running on a server, with an NFS mount to a NAS device. Everything is gigabit, there is only 1 nic in the backuppc server connected to the switch, so traffic comes in from the servers we're backing up and then straight back out the same nic to the NFS mount.

I'm finding significant performance drops in backing up data to the NAS via the backuppc server. When we run backups to the local storage in the server, the backups run much faster and the network usage is almost triple. I know NFS won't be as fast as the local storage, but is it possible the network card is conngested?

Would it be better to plug in a second nic to the backuppc server and allow traffic to come in via nic1 and out to the nfs mount via nic2?

thanks
Stephen