BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] NAS performance over NFS

2008-09-02 05:54:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] NAS performance over NFS
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 11:54:10 +0200
On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 11:34:44AM +1000, Stephen Vaughan wrote:
> Hmm yeah I've a bit of a play with the nfs client side, the nfs server is
> purely web based, so it's limited to what I can play with.
>
> What about the network side of things, with data coming in and back out on
> the same interface?

I's say: Tune NFS performance first without backuppc - you probably need
to tune NFS anyway. Then look how it works. Separating the interfaces
might be a good idea, but on the other hand, the access should be rather serial:

- server receives something via rsync protocol
- then reads or writes some data via NFS
- then sends response to client

Situation is a bit different with multiple concurrent backups. If it's
cheap to add another NIC, just do it - but it might not solve your NFS
performance issues.

> > > We have backuppc running on a server, with an NFS mount to a NAS device.
> > > Everything is gigabit, there is only 1 nic in the backuppc server
> > > connected to the switch, so traffic comes in from the servers we're
> > > backing up and then straight back out the same nic to the NFS mount.
> > >
> > > I'm finding significant performance drops in backing up data to the NAS
> > > via the backuppc server. When we run backups to the local storage in the
> > > server, the backups run much faster and the network usage is almost
> > > triple. I know NFS won't be as fast as the local storage, but is it
> > > possible the network card is conngested?
> > >
> > > Would it be better to plug in a second nic to the backuppc server and
> > > allow traffic to come in via nic1 and out to the nfs mount via nic2?
> >
> > You probably need to consider that performance of NFS is never likely to
> > be as fast compared to local disk (unless your NFS Server has slow disks
> > and your local disks are fast).
> >
> > However, to optimise the performance you are getting now, you need to
> > start by focussing on improving your NFS performance, so ignore
> > backuppc, and run various tests, follow the available NFS performance
> > optimising howto's from google, and then throw backuppc back into the
> > mix.....
> >
> > I don't recall the details, but I was having a number of performance
> > issues with my NFS server, and after fixing the NFS mount options, and
> > the NFS export options on the server, along with tuning a number of
> > variables on the NFS server (under /proc/something) I managed to resolve
> > most of my problems. (The final problem (which was probably the first
> > problem) was that the NFS client had faulty RAM)....

HTH,

Tino.

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de