BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Recommended transfer method for remote backups of win machines

2008-07-09 16:57:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Recommended transfer method for remote backups of win machines
From: dnk <d.k.emaillists AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 13:57:51 -0700
On 9-Jul-08, at 11:47 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:

> The nicest alternative is to set up a VPN connection that tunnels/
> routes
> between the office and remote subnets so everything works the same
> as a
> local connection.  If you can't arrange that, you can set up openvpn
> connections to each backup target or tunnel the rsyncd connection
> through ssh port forwarding.

Well I am thinking of a dedicated OpenVPN connection between my lan
and my data center.

How do people find the backup times over an encrypted channel like that?

For my office I have a 10 mb full duplex fiber connection, but I
realize that is all relevant to many variables.

My other thought was to maybe install backuppc on a local server, then
just rsync off to a remote server periodically.

I am trying to figure out what would be best to balance backup loads,
network traffic, and ease of use to the end user.

Currently I have a little local running program on each workstation
that has a predefined backup job to my samba server, then I just rsync
that off site. But I wanted to look at backup PC due to the efficient
way it stores data with the hardlinks, and giving the end user the
ability to restore themselves.

Dustin