BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Recommended transfer method for remote backups of win machines

2008-07-09 14:47:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Recommended transfer method for remote backups of win machines
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 13:47:04 -0500
Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> On 07/09 11:26 , dnk wrote:
>> What I plan to do is have a system running backupPC in a remote data
>> center. Now for my linux clients/servers, it is a no brainer to use
>> rsync over SSH, but I was curious what the recommended method would be
>> to backup (securely) our windows desktops (in the office) to the
>> remote backuppc server (in the data center)?
>
> OpenVPN?
> Stunnel?
> (then use rsync as the actual transport mechanism).

The nicest alternative is to set up a VPN connection that tunnels/routes
between the office and remote subnets so everything works the same as a
local connection.  If you can't arrange that, you can set up openvpn
connections to each backup target or tunnel the rsyncd connection
through ssh port forwarding.