BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows 2003 via smb copy only directories

2008-07-03 13:39:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows 2003 via smb copy only directories
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 19:39:08 +0200
On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 02:35:55PM -0300, Neimar Volpini wrote:
> Hum, good point, the timestamps didn't came in mind ... but I don't
> think this is the problem because there were old files in the directory
> and none of them were copied. Let me understand something ...
>
> I run a full backup of two directories in a share. After, I change the
> config adding a third directory and then run an incremental backup. This
> new directory I just added as it doesn't have any previous backups it
> will be copied without any timestamps test, right?

No. That's the weak point of smb and tar incrementals. They _only_ look
for files with timestamps more recent than the last full backup (or the
incremental they're based on). Therfore, they won't back up files that:
- have their timestamp modified to the past
- have been extracted from archives, preserving timestamps
- have been moved there, preserving timestamps
- ...

The next full will pick up those files. If you used rsync, it would
notice the new files. That's because the smb and tar transfer methods
are unidirectional only - the client cannot ask the server "do you have
that file already" as with rsync where file lists are built and compared.
So, to get any "incremental" backup (that is, without transferring every
file to the server each time), you may only rely on the file
modification time which might be altered.

HTH,

Tino.

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de