BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_Admin displayed instead of executed on Apache

2008-05-24 14:21:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_Admin displayed instead of executed on Apache
From: Sam Przyswa <samp AT arial-concept DOT com>
To: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 20:21:32 +0200
Le samedi 24 mai 2008 à 11:36 -0500, Les Mikesell a écrit :
> Sam Przyswa wrote:
>
> >> I'd just switch to cgi execution instead of mod_perl.  You don't spend
> >> that much time in the web interface anyway.
> >
> > If I don't use mod_perl the script BackupPC_Admin it don't start, only
> > displayed into the browser windows.
>
> That means you didn't configure it to run as a cgi script.  Most
> distributions already have a cgi-bin directory somewhere with a
> scriptalias or other config setting to make it execute programs. Just
> put the BackupPC_Admin program there.  When running this way it needs to
> be readable and executable by the apache's group (www-data?) and owned
> and setuid to the backuppc user.

There is the apache configuration for BackupPC without mod_perl:

ServerName backups-xl.arial-concept.com
<Directory "/var/apache2/backuppc">
allow from all
AuthName "Backups Externes Arial Concept"
####SetHandler perl-script
####PerlResponseHandler ModPerl::Registry
####PerlOptions +ParseHeaders
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /etc/apache2/backups_users
Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks Includes IncludesNOEXEC Indexes
MultiViews SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
require valid-user
order deny,allow
AllowOverride All
</Directory>
Alias /images/ "/var/apache2/backuppc/images/"
Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks Includes IncludesNOEXEC Indexes
MultiViews SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
DocumentRoot /var/apache2/backuppc

The BackuPC_Admin is on /var/apache2/backuppc and it's ONLY DISPLAYED
without mod_perl not run, it's set as:

-rwsrwsrwx 1 www-data www-data 3993 2008-05-24 18:35 BackupPC_Admin

> >> It's just the way mod_perl and apache work.  Mod_perl runs as part of
> >> the apache process, so it doesn't have a choice about running under a
> >> different uid.  The tradeoff is that starting a separate process with
> >> the cgi interface is a bit slower, but it gives the other process a
> >> change to switch id's.   Another option is to run a separate instance of
> >> apache/mod_perl on a different port but I don't think it is worth the
> >> trouble.
> >
> > Now with mod_perl I changed $Conf{BackupPCUser} to www-data (Apache
> > user) it start but sometime I loose the permission as admin user or
> > sometime I got:
>
> That should work with mod_perl.  If you mean the admin user after
> logging into the web interface, that has to do with web authentication
> not linux users or permissions.

How to set admin user ?

I log as my account who set as user in hosts file (not moreUsers) but I
have not permission to edit config ???

> > My previous config 2.1.2 running since 4 years don't work anymore with
> > the 3.1.0.
> >
> > I prefer suppress security features, perhaps make it running as root but
> > make it WORKING !
>
> Doesn't debian hava a packaged version you can install with apt-get?

Yes but it just install the 2.1.2 version.

> > Please I have to backup my machine PLEASE.
>
> Backups should run without the web interface if you set up the config
> files by hand.
>
> > Please give me a patch or a way to make BpPC working on Debian, Apache2,
> > and mod_perl (it don't work without).
>
> You don't need a patch, you just need to configure apache.  And I still
> recommend not using mod_perl.

Ok but at this time as I already said BackupPC_Admin don't run even the
ExecCGI is set for the directory, or tell me the RIGHT apache2 config
file to make it running.

Now I will try to use suexec apache2 feature to try to run BpPC ac
backuppc.

Sam.