BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_Admin displayed instead of executed on Apache

2008-05-24 12:36:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_Admin displayed instead of executed on Apache
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: Sam Przyswa <samp AT arial-concept DOT com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 11:36:10 -0500
Sam Przyswa wrote:

>> I'd just switch to cgi execution instead of mod_perl.  You don't spend
>> that much time in the web interface anyway.
>
> If I don't use mod_perl the script BackupPC_Admin it don't start, only
> displayed into the browser windows.

That means you didn't configure it to run as a cgi script.  Most
distributions already have a cgi-bin directory somewhere with a
scriptalias or other config setting to make it execute programs. Just
put the BackupPC_Admin program there.  When running this way it needs to
be readable and executable by the apache's group (www-data?) and owned
and setuid to the backuppc user.

>>> Thanks for your help, but it's a strange BackupPC's feature or behavior
>>> (perhaps a bug...)
>> It's just the way mod_perl and apache work.  Mod_perl runs as part of
>> the apache process, so it doesn't have a choice about running under a
>> different uid.  The tradeoff is that starting a separate process with
>> the cgi interface is a bit slower, but it gives the other process a
>> change to switch id's.   Another option is to run a separate instance of
>> apache/mod_perl on a different port but I don't think it is worth the
>> trouble.
>
> Now with mod_perl I changed $Conf{BackupPCUser} to www-data (Apache
> user) it start but sometime I loose the permission as admin user or
> sometime I got:

That should work with mod_perl.  If you mean the admin user after
logging into the web interface, that has to do with web authentication
not linux users or permissions.

> This script needs to run as the user specified in $Conf{BackupPCUser},
> which is set to root.

That shouldn't be set to root.

> My previous config 2.1.2 running since 4 years don't work anymore with
> the 3.1.0.
>
> I prefer suppress security features, perhaps make it running as root but
> make it WORKING !

Doesn't debian hava a packaged version you can install with apt-get?

> Please I have to backup my machine PLEASE.

Backups should run without the web interface if you set up the config
files by hand.

> Please give me a patch or a way to make BpPC working on Debian, Apache2,
> and mod_perl (it don't work without).

You don't need a patch, you just need to configure apache.  And I still
recommend not using mod_perl.

     les AT futuresource DOT com