BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_Admin displayed instead of executed on Apache

2008-05-18 18:28:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_Admin displayed instead of executed on Apache
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: Sam Przyswa <samp AT arial-concept DOT com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 17:28:11 -0500
Sam Przyswa wrote:

>>> But I always got the same message about the wrong userid !?
>>>
>>> I never had this problem with apache 1.33 and BPC 2.1.2 on my old Debian
>>> machine.
>> If you configure apache to use mod_perl, the apache user and backuppc
>> user must be the same since mod_perl is embedded in the same process.
>> If you run through the cgi interface, a separate perl process is started
>> that can observe the suid bit and change effective users.
>
> That mean that apache must run in backuppc user or BackupPC must run in
> www-data userid ?

It doesn't matter which, but the ownership/permissions of all necessary
files have to be set to match.

> If BackupPC can run in www-data userid I will do that because I have
> others web sites that should run in www-data userid.

I'd just switch to cgi execution instead of mod_perl.  You don't spend
that much time in the web interface anyway.

> Thanks for your help, but it's a strange BackupPC's feature or behavior
> (perhaps a bug...)

It's just the way mod_perl and apache work.  Mod_perl runs as part of
the apache process, so it doesn't have a choice about running under a
different uid.  The tradeoff is that starting a separate process with
the cgi interface is a bit slower, but it gives the other process a
change to switch id's.   Another option is to run a separate instance of
apache/mod_perl on a different port but I don't think it is worth the
trouble.