BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup of client never completes

2008-05-22 11:13:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup of client never completes
From: James <jameskyle AT ucla DOT edu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 08:13:28 -0700
> You still hasn't told us which transfer method you use. But if you
> use rsync I
> would recommend you to convince the professor to leave the computer
> connected
> overnight. It should suffice to do this just one time, because once
> you have all
> the data on the server only diffs are transferred (plus some
> checksums) when
> using rsync.
>
> Best regards,
> /Martin Leben

Looks like I accidentally included my response in a quote, rsync over
an ssh tunnel. It doesn't tax the system badly.

I've also noticed that backuppc appears to start a new process for
each of the RsyncShareName values. For example, if I have /Users and /
usr/local I'll see "Starting backup for /Users" followed by one for /
usr/local.

If I have /Users/foo/bar, /Users/foo/bah, and /Users/foo/boh listed as
Rsync Shares and bar and bah complete, but boh does not. Will bar and
bah be done incrementally next time (and much faster), thus eventually
covering his entire user tree?

I only ask, because I've been attempting to convince him to leave the
laptop overnight for a while but he feels he cannot part from it.

-james