BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Backup of client never completes

2008-05-21 17:38:21
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Backup of client never completes
From: James <jameskyle AT ucla DOT edu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 14:38:10 -0700
I have a laptop client with 200gb of data to back up. The backup
always ends with a:

> Got fatal error during xfer (aborted by signal=PIPE)
> Backup aborted by user signal

This is not surprising. The abort happens when the user closes his
laptop or unplugs from my network. What is surprising is that the
backup *never* completes. It is my understanding that BackupPC will
begin backing up a partial from the last file that was not backed up.
Thus, even if a backup cannot complete in one day, or two, or three
attempts it will gradually fill the partial and complete a backup.

This situation has been going on for months and a complete backup has
not been made yet. To give an idea of transfer rates on my network,
the 200gb could be directly transferred to the server in about 4 hours.

I've monitored the logs with a high verbosity and there are absolutely
no errors. There's also no endless loops seen or other oddities. It
chugs along processing each of the files until the user quits not
hanging for an inordinate amount of time on any one file.

Any suggestions on how I can figure out what's going on here? Could I
have inadvertently disabled backuppc's ability to complete partial
backups?

Many thanks for any suggestions,

James Kyle