BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] upgrading from 2.1.2 to 3.0.0

2008-05-22 05:36:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] upgrading from 2.1.2 to 3.0.0
From: Vetch <vetch101 AT googlemail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 10:36:20 +0100

Hi all,

Sorry to drag up an old thread...

I currently have a v.small business server running backuppc 2.1.2 on Debian Etch that has a considerable amount of important data backed up on it.

I plan to move the backuppc installation onto a new server on Ubuntu 8.04, and I would like to take the old data across.

I believe that the easiest way to do this would be to upgrade to Backuppc 3, and use the BackupPC_tar_CCopy data export functionality to convert it into a tar file (using the method from the online documentation (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#other_installation_topics ) and then move the data...

What I am worried about is how I should go about updating the store...

I notice that in backports there is a version of 3.1 for Etch http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net/FAQ+installation

... But, I'm not sure how to go about using backports for just backuppc...

Realistically, in some ways, it's not really a huge problem, because I'm going to retire the server once I've copied off the data, but still, it may be some time between moving data and finally retiring the server...

The other worry I have is how the upgrade will affect the data... Can I just use apt-pinning to install the backuppc install, and it'll all happen seamlessly? Or do I need to worry about anything?

And (sorry) finally, I notice that the data is saved into the /var volume...

I am currently using the intended server as a file server too, and have set up most of the HDD space as on /home. I could probably change this, but it would rather have the backuppc data on the home drive (though I realise it flies in the face of all hierarchical file system planning and design)...

Can anyone give me some pointers on how I should go about achieving these goals, and potential issues I am looking at...

Many thanks,

Jx