BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Using backuppc over WAN

2008-05-06 15:41:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Using backuppc over WAN
From: Wood.Chris AT tatravelcenters DOT com
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 14:55:27 -0400

Thanks, but what about weekly full backups? Would that swamp our remote 512mbps connections?

Our big issue here is retention - we have to keep backed up files indefinitely, can backuppc maintain a continually growing catalog of indefintely retained files? Of course, we would probably need to install a 64-bit database server....

Chris

Rob Owens <rob.owens AT biochemfluidics DOT com>
Sent by: backuppc-users-bounces AT lists.sourceforge DOT net

05/06/2008 02:41 PM

cc
backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Subject

Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> On 05/06 09:11 , Wood.Chris AT tatravelcenters DOT com wrote:
>> Has anyone used backuppc to backup over a WAN?
>
> Yes, many times.
>
> Just use rsync,
ditto.  rsync will only transfer the changes, even on "full" backups.

remember to turn on compression, and experiment with some
> ssh ciphers like arcfour or blowfish, which are a little less CPU-intensive
> than the default.

Probably good advice, but I've never tried it.  Hopefully I'll have time
to experiment soon.

-Rob