Amanda-Users

AMANDA demanda new tape...

2009-07-23 14:59:27
Subject: AMANDA demanda new tape...
From: Sam Hooker <sth AT noiseplant DOT com>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 14:45:46 -0400 (EDT)

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

So, I have to confess that I've used AMANDA in other settings for a long time
without knowing how to address this particular issue correctly (i.e., in a way
that doesn't require periodic intervention). What I've found via web searches
always seems to indicate a simple math error, but when I compare the config
comments and manpage to my running config, it seems like I shouldn't run into
this.

What I'm looking for is a four-week cycle, with backups running 7d/w. (I'm
backing up, over the Internet, a free colo granted to me by my old company, and
don't want to be a pest w/r/t bandwidth by pulling down fulls every week.) I
initially labeled 20 tapes because my cycle was originally going to be two
weeks, but added 20 more later, when I altered my plan. So, 40 tapes. I've now
fallen off the end of the cycle, and AMANDA won't reuse what she's got:

*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [No writable valid tape found].
Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
Run amflush again to flush them to tape.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.

When I check the /etc/amanda/<config>/amflush.1 logfile, it appears to step
through all the tapes, reading the labels:

slot 1: read label `NOISEPLANT-1', date `20090609'
slot 2: read label `NOISEPLANT-2', date `20090611'
slot 40: read label `NOISEPLANT-40', date `20090506'

and then throws this, which itself contains the whole "tape-label-read list" in
square brackets:

driver: result time 2.791 from taper: TAPE-ERROR [slot 1: read label
`NOISEPLANT-1', date `20090609'
slot 2: read label `NOISEPLANT-2', date `20090611'
slot 40: read label `NOISEPLANT-40', date `20090506'
]

I'm really sorry to be the nth person to ask this, but I think my setup
reflects the answers I've read to many similar, previously-addressed questions
(in that (runspercycle * runtapes) < tapecycle). So: Is something else at
issue? Any clues as to what I am doing wrong? Context follows:

[root@inara NOISEPLANT]# cat /etc/redhat-release; uname -r; pwd
CentOS release 5.3 (Final)
2.6.18-128.2.1.el5
/etc/amanda/NOISEPLANT

[root@inara NOISEPLANT]# rpm -qa | grep -i amanda
amanda-server-2.5.0p2-4
amanda-client-2.5.0p2-4
amanda-2.5.0p2-4

[root@inara NOISEPLANT]# egrep -v '^#|^ *$' /etc/cron.d/amanda
0 16 * * *      amanda  /usr/sbin/amcheck -m NOISEPLANT

45 1 * * *      amanda  /usr/local/sbin/run_backups

[root@inara NOISEPLANT]# for opt in dumpcycle runspercycle tapecycle runtapes
tpchanger tapedev; do echo -n "$opt: "; amgetconf NOISEPLANT $opt; done
dumpcycle: 28
runspercycle: 28
tapecycle: 40
runtapes: 1
tpchanger: chg-disk
tapedev: file:/storage0/amandatapes/NOISEPLANT/slots

[root@inara NOISEPLANT]# su -c 'ammt -f
file:/storage0/amandatapes/NOISEPLANT/slots status' amanda
file:/storage0/amandatapes/NOISEPLANT/slots status: ONLINE

[root@inara NOISEPLANT]# ls -1 /storage0/amandatapes/NOISEPLANT/slots
data
info
slot1
slot10
slot11
slot40
slot5
slot6
slot7
slot8
slot9

# This order seems very odd, to me. #14 is last because
# I inadvertently deleted it a few weeks ago. I've since
# re-created it.
[root@inara NOISEPLANT]# cat tapelist
20090629 NOISEPLANT-13 reuse
20090629 NOISEPLANT-12 reuse