Amanda-Users

Tape drive issue - Linux server cannot fill tapes

2009-07-03 14:30:16
Subject: Tape drive issue - Linux server cannot fill tapes
From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson AT simkin DOT ca>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 11:14:56 -0700
This is not an amanda problem. It affects amanda, but it also shows up just
dd'ing straight to tape. I'm just hoping someone here knows how to fix it.

CentOS 5.3 x86_64 server. 8-drive RAID-6 pretty much dedicated to backup, so
streaming files to tape is not an issue.  Quantum LTO-3 Superloader 16
connected to an Adaptec 29320LPE PCI-e SCSI controller.

The problem I have is that the server never fills a tape. It writes at
anywhere from 41 to 60 MB/sec (depending on block size) for anywhere
between 6440 and 6500 seconds, and then gives an end of tape. This can
occur at anywhere between 270GB and 360GB of data. The tapes are 400/800
LTO Ultrium-3 tapes, and the problem occurs on brand new tapes as well as
tapes that have been in service for many months.

So, obviously, you'd suspect the tape drive. However, I happen to have an
older standalone Quantum/Certance LTO-3 Ultrium drive, and if I plug it in,
it does exactly the same thing. I don't have a clue where the problem is,
although I suspect something in the st or Adaptec drivers. If anyone has
any idea how to fix it, I'd be pretty ecstatic.

The stinit.def currently being used is attached. The same problem occurs
with any block size, though, and the timeout parameters appear to have no
effect.

--
Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world,
is either a madman or an economist.