Amanda-Users

Amanda, separable but related problems, cross architecture.

2009-07-03 12:02:18
Subject: Amanda, separable but related problems, cross architecture.
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, Chris Knight <knight AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 11:49:47 -0400
I am perfroming dump from Solaris 10 x86, using amanda 2.6.1
to an SL24/LTO4.

The following is cronological, some of the issues are separable.

The particular client with the issue is a MAC server with over
250Gig of data.

The dumps where taking a _lot_ time, so I tried to divide the DLE
into 2 separate DLEs. Of of those was still large, so I tried to
divide it into 2 again.

Rather than dumping /, I was dumping /Users and /trel, trel was _large_
over 250 gig by itself.

trel:/trel cssadmin$ ls
Active Staff Folders    Funded Programs         Quality Assurance
Applications            Graphpad                References
Archived Studies        Images                  Research Studies
Archives                LINC                    Temporary Items
DRC+ PE07 Blood         Lab Operations          Trace Elements
DRCII PE10 Urine        Lead Poisoning          Trash
DRCII PE12 Research     NYS PT Program
External PT

I attempted the following in the disklist

trel   /Users       comp-user-tar
#trel   /trel        user-tar
trel   /trelAM /trel   {
        comp-user-tar
        exclude "[N-Z]*"
        }

trel   /trelNZ /trel   {
        comp-user-tar
        exclude "[A-M]*"
        }

Which naturally, since there where 'new' DLEs attempted level 0 dumps
on both.

However the combined for the two new DLEs was not the expected 250G but
only about 50 Gig.

I wanted to look at the dumps from the tape, since I don't keep indexes
online, which is very time consuming...

Since this is a cross architecture issue, I thought I would simply
restore the DLEs in question in their entirety and worry about how
to read them after (no problem cross mounting the partition with NFS).

However, I was unable to bring the DLE back.

> amrestore /dev/rmt/0n trel

amrestore: 7: skipping FILE: date 20090702183001 host nlascar disk /boot lev 1
comp .gz program /sbin/dump
amrestore: 8: restoring FILE: date 20090702183001 host trel disk /Users lev 1
comp .gz program /usr/bin/xtar

I was just trying to restore the tar-ball, not unpack the files, this
had been the behavior I was familiar with.

Assuming the addition of compression was an issue I ran a new set of
dumps, just of this client, after removing compression from the disklist
entry for these partitions. The results where the same.

I don't see any switches on amrestore to restore the behavior I was
expecting, I do not believe the -r (raw) switch does what I want, based
on the description (and on a failed trial).

So, in summary, I believe I have 1) a miscoded exclude in the DLE
2) a behavior change in amrestore.

                                        Thanks in advance for you assistance,

                                                Brian

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.