Amanda-Users

Re: Why are there log files in /etc/amanda/DailySet1?

2008-07-11 10:07:29
Subject: Re: Why are there log files in /etc/amanda/DailySet1?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:01:42 -0400
On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 08:55:57AM +0200, Zanga Chimombo wrote:
> <rant>
> i have a problem with setting up amanda but more of that later. i have
> the following configurations:
> AMANDA_DBGDIR="/var/log/amanda"
> CONFIG_DIR="/etc/amanda"
>
> i have been looking in /var/log/amanda for clues to my problem to no
> avail. i have only just discovered log files in /etc/amanda/DailySet1/!
> e.g. log.20080711.0 and amdump.1
> </rant>

No rant needed.  Note the variable name for /var/log/amanda,
"...DBGDIR".  This is where debugging information is saved.
Amanda debugging information is not needed if things succeed.
And it typically is the same location for all configuations
in a multi-config installation.  Log files are typically
stored under the amanda config directory for which they relate.
The log files are needed for other purposes including recovery,
estimates, and planning.

They also assist debugging sometimes ;)

 JG Computing
 12027 Creekbend Drive          (703) 787-0884
 Reston, VA  20194              (703) 787-0922 (fax)