Amanda-Users

Why are there log files in /etc/amanda/DailySet1?

2008-07-11 03:39:01
Subject: Why are there log files in /etc/amanda/DailySet1?
From: Zanga Chimombo <z.chimombo AT admarc.co DOT mw>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 08:55:57 +0200
<rant>
i have a problem with setting up amanda but more of that later. i have the following configurations:
AMANDA_DBGDIR="/var/log/amanda"
CONFIG_DIR="/etc/amanda"

i have been looking in /var/log/amanda for clues to my problem to no avail. i have only just discovered log files in /etc/amanda/DailySet1/! e.g. log.20080711.0 and amdump.1
</rant>

anyways. i get the following email report:
<quote>
These dumps were to tape DailySet1-00.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  192.168.0.60  /home/zanga/Pictures   lev 0  FAILED [dump to tape failed]
  192.168.0.60  /home/zanga/Documents  lev 0  FAILED [dump to tape failed]
</quote>

my backup server is 192.168.0.1 and the client is 192.168.0.60. as a check, i am also backing up /etc on the server and that seems to go ahead without any problems.

maybe my desired setup is unusual: all that i would like to do is a nightly backup of my home directory so that if i accidentally overwrite a file the next day i can recover it. i am not dumping to tape. i am trying to dump to a directory /tmp/amanda (tapedev="/tmp/amanda/DailySet1" in amanda.conf) on the server (as i said i'm only currently looking to recover the previous day's work if need be). i am not using a holding disk (i have commented the respective lines out in amanda.conf)

i have commented out tpchanger in amanda.conf and have a crontab entry "amlabel -f DailySet1 DailySet1-00"

the following line in amdump.X seems to give a clue:
"dumper: stream_client: connect to 192.168.0.60.46830 failed: No route to host"
why is the server trying to dump to the client?

please help!

Zanga.