Amanda-Users

Re: two dumps, when combines, larger than the holding disk

2008-04-29 06:18:01
Subject: Re: two dumps, when combines, larger than the holding disk
From: Sven Rudolph <Sven_Rudolph AT drewag DOT de>
To: Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 11:33:13 +0200
Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com> writes:

> Jordan Desroches wrote:
>> Dear Amanda community,
>>
>> I am running two dumpers simultaneously, and using software
>> compression. The estimates of the compression are not exact, and
>> I've been running into a problem where the two DLEs AMANDA chooses
>> to dump are bigger when combined than the holding disk. The holding
>> disk fills up before either dump finishes, and the dumps stop. In
>> this situation, what does AMANDA do? So far, the dumps have just
>> hung there, but my timeouts are quite long. I could break the DLEs
>> up into small chunks, but I was wondering if there is a more elegant
>> solution.

> Amanda should stop one of the dle, terminate the second, write it to
> tape and restart the first dle.
>
> Which release are you using?

Some years ago (around 2.4.x ?) I have seen similiar problems, and I
have never seen the behaviour that you described as "Amanda
should...". Either it is new or it doesn't work that way.

I guess it will simply wait until one DLE dump hits dtimeout. Then the
other DLE dump will succeed. And some time later (probably after the
DLE finished) it will retry the first DLE. (The retrying of a failed
DLE didn't happen some years ago, but it works now.)

        Sven