Amanda-Users

Re: NFS mount tar incremental problem

2008-04-15 23:10:16
Subject: Re: NFS mount tar incremental problem
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Jordan Desroches" <jordan.d.desroches AT dartmouth DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 23:04:19 -0400
On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 7:58 PM, Jordan Desroches
<jordan.d.desroches AT dartmouth DOT edu> wrote:
> I have not tested it yet myself, but version 1.2 of gnutar was released
> yesterday (see http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/#TOCreleases ) and of
> particular interest is this feature (quoted from the page):

(version 1.20, actually)

Those flags were added at least in part due to a bunch of amanda users
heading over to bug-tar and speaking up.  Thanks, all!

Jean-Louis has added a property to the amgtar application to support
this, but unfortunately, it was just a bit too late for 2.6.0.  By the
time 2.6.1 comes around, hopefully some systems will have Tar 1.20
installed and can utilize this feature.

In the interim, the best ways to take advantage of this is to rebuild
Amanda with a modified sendbackup-gnutar.c, or to write an GNU Tar
wrapper that supplies --no-check-device.

Those who have done this, please post your wrappers and/or add them to the wiki?

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com