Amanda-Users

Attempted upgrade to Amanda 2.5.0: hangs in amcheck

2008-04-15 17:43:35
Subject: Attempted upgrade to Amanda 2.5.0: hangs in amcheck
From: FL <lengyel AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 17:34:33 -0400
I am attempting to upgrade my amanda installation from 2.4.4p1 to
2.5.0 for various reasons
(retiring a server that was giving me trouble,  aspiring to membership
in an exclusive
club of AMANDA users, etc),

 I'm using CentOS. I may disable  SElinux on the machine, although
there were no avc errors.
I also had to retire the original server the older version was running on.

As usual, one starts with mtx.

The mtx command works, although, interestingly enough, on my Exabyte magnum
224 I need to issue an mtx inventory command before it gets the status
correct--this could
be at the root of another trouble I've been having. Maybe it's time to
contribute a rewrite
to chg-zd-mtx--unless there is an explicit inventory command I could
invoke in the changer.conf
script)

-sh-3.1$ mtx -f /dev/sg1 inventory

before this, I was consistently getting

-sh-3.1$ mtx -f /dev/sg1 status
  Storage Changer /dev/sg1:1 Drives, 12 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
Data Transfer Element 0:Empty
      Storage Element 1:Full :VolumeTag=A00013
      Storage Element 2:Full :VolumeTag=A00002
      Storage Element 3:Full :VolumeTag=A00003
      Storage Element 4:Full :VolumeTag=A00004
      Storage Element 5:Full :VolumeTag=A00005
      Storage Element 6:Full :VolumeTag=A00006
      Storage Element 7:Full :VolumeTag=
      Storage Element 8:Full :VolumeTag=A00008
      Storage Element 9:Full :VolumeTag=A00009
      Storage Element 10:Full :VolumeTag=A00010
      Storage Element 11:Full :VolumeTag=A00011
      Storage Element 12:Full :VolumeTag=A00012

after an mtx -f /dev/sg1 unload 7, which completed normally.

After the inventory command, I have the following:

-sh-3.1$ mtx -f /dev/sg1 status
  Storage Changer /dev/sg1:1 Drives, 12 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
Data Transfer Element 0:Empty
      Storage Element 1:Full :VolumeTag=A00013
      Storage Element 2:Full :VolumeTag=A00002
      Storage Element 3:Full :VolumeTag=A00003
      Storage Element 4:Full :VolumeTag=A00004
      Storage Element 5:Full :VolumeTag=A00005
      Storage Element 6:Full :VolumeTag=A00006
      Storage Element 7:Full :VolumeTag=A00007
      Storage Element 8:Full :VolumeTag=A00008
      Storage Element 9:Full :VolumeTag=A00009
      Storage Element 10:Full :VolumeTag=A00010
      Storage Element 11:Full :VolumeTag=A00011
      Storage Element 12:Full :VolumeTag=A00012
-sh-3.1$ amcheck Daily

Now with the status correct, I have this:
-sh-3.1$ amcheck Daily
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /home/amanda/holding-disk: 104765 MB disk space
available, using 104665 MB

which hangs indefinitely

Here's part of amanda.conf:

dumpcycle 5 days        # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
runspercycle 5         # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
                        # (4 weeks * 5 amdump runs per week -- just we
tapecycle 11 tapes      # the number of tapes in rotation
                        # 4 weeks (dumpcycle) times 5 tapes per week (
                        # the weekdays) plus a few to handle errors th
                        # need amflush and so we do not overwrite the
                        # backups performed at the beginning of the pr
                        # cycle

bumpsize 20 Mb          # minimum savings (threshold) to bump level 1
bumppercent 20          # minimum savings (threshold) to bump level 1
bumpdays 1              # minimum days at each level
bumpmult 4              # threshold = bumpsize * bumpmult^(level-1)

etimeout 300            # number of seconds per filesystem for estimat
#etimeout -600          # total number of seconds for estimates.
# a positive number will be multiplied by the number of filesystems on
# each host; a negative number will be taken as an absolute total time
# The default is 5 minutes per filesystem.

dtimeout 1800           # number of idle seconds before a dump is abor

ctimeout 30             # maximum number of seconds that amcheck waits
                        # for each client host

tapebufs 20
# A positive integer telling taper how many 32k buffers to allocate.
# WARNING! If this is set too high, taper will not be able to allocate
# the memory and will die.  The default is 20 (640k).

# Specify tape device and/or tape changer.  If you don't have a tape
# changer, and you don't want to use more than one tape per run of
# amdump, just comment out the definition of tpchanger.

# Some tape changers require tapedev to be defined; others will use
# their own tape device selection mechanism.  Some use a separate tape
# changer device (changerdev), others will simply ignore this
# parameter.  Some rely on a configuration file (changerfile) to
# obtain more information about tape devices, number of slots, etc;
# others just need to store some data in files, whose names will start
# with changerfile.  For more information about individual tape
# changers, read docs/TAPE.CHANGERS.

# At most one changerfile entry must be defined; select the most
# appropriate one for your configuration.  If you select man-changer,
# keep the first one; if you decide not to use a tape changer, you may
# comment them all out.

runtapes 2              # number of tapes to be used in a single run o
tpchanger "chg-zd-mtx"  # the tape-changer glue script
tapedev "/dev/nst0"     # the no-rewind tape device to be used
rawtapedev "/dev/null"  # the raw device to be used (ftape only)
#changerfile "/etc/amanda/DailySet1/changer"
#changerfile "/etc/amanda/DailySet1/changer-status"
changerfile "/etc/amanda/Daily/changer.conf"