Amanda-Users

Re: Release of Amanda-6.2

2008-04-01 17:22:38
Subject: Re: Release of Amanda-6.2
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 17:17:24 -0400
On Tuesday 01 April 2008, Jean-Francois Malouin wrote:
>* Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com> [20080401 14:33]:
>> Hello,
>>
>> The Amanda core team is pleased to announce the release of Amanda 6.2.
>
>It takes courage to release on April 1st!
>And I suppose this is meant to be 2.6 :)
>
>I'd love to test but how to I get glib > 2.2.0? On my production
>systems running Debian/Etch all I have is glib 2.12.4-2 and I don't
>see any backport for it. Even Sid is at 2.16 I believe.
>
>Where can I get a version that meets the requirement to compile
>amanda-2.6 so that I can start testing it in my environment?
>
>jf

That is odd, I didn't notice any probs when I built it on this F8 system half
an hour ago.  I have:

>> Source tarballs are available from
[root@coyote amanda-2.6.0]# rpm -qa|grep glib
glibmm24-2.14.2-1.fc8
glibc-2.7-2
telepathy-glib-0.5.14-1.fc8
avahi-glib-0.6.21-8.fc8
glib2-devel-2.14.6-1.fc8
dbus-glib-devel-0.73-7.fc8
glibc-common-2.7-2
glib-1.2.10-28.fc8 <---
glibc-devel-2.7-2
glib2-2.14.6-1.fc8 <---
glib-java-0.2.6-10.fc8
taglib-1.5-1.fc8
glibc-headers-2.7-2
dbus-glib-0.73-7.fc8

amcheck is happy, as is amrecover cuz I'm still picking up the pieces of a
200GB drive that ruptured an aorta over the weekend.

>>    * http://www.amanda.org
>>    * https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=120
>>
>> Binaries for many systems are available from
>>
>>    * http://www.zmanda.com/download-amanda.php
>>
>> Documentation can be found at
>>
>>    * http://wiki.zmanda.com
>>

>> Here's a list of the changes for release 6.2 (from the NEWS file):
>> Look at the ReleaseNotes and ChangeLog file for more details.
>>
>>    * configure --disable-shared doesn't work because perl modules
>>      require shared libraries.  Use configure --with-static-binaries to
>>      build statically linked binaries.
>>    * New --enable-kitche-sink flag: calls the plumber when you kitchen
>>      sink is backed up.

04/01 stuff I assume?

>>    * 'amverify' and 'amverifyrun' are deprecated and replaced with the
>>    * new, more flexible 'amcheckdump'
>>    * 'amdd' and 'ammt' are deprecated.
>>    * Some Amanda files are now installed in new "amanda/"
>>      subdirectories: libraries are now installed in $libdir/amanda and
>>      internal programs are now installed in $libexecdir/amanda. If you
>>      mix 2.6.0 and earlier version with rsh/ssh auth, you need to add
>>      an 'amandad_path' to the dumptype and to amanda-client.conf.
>>    * The amandates file, previously at /etc/amandates, is now at
>>      $localstatedir/amanda/amandates.  You may want to move your
>>      existing /etc/amandates when you upgrade Amanda.
>>    * New 'amcryptsimple', 'amgpgcrypt' - encryption plugins based on gpg.
>>    * New amenigma - WWII enigma machine encryption.  Super duper secure.
Chuckle...
>>    * New 'amserverconfig', 'amaddclient' - Initial Amanda configuration
>>      tools these tools make assumptions, please see man page.
>>    * Many bugs fixed and code rewrite/cleanup
>>          o Speedup in 'amrecover find' and starting amrecover.
>>    * glib is required to compile and run amanda.
>>    * Device API: pluggable interface to storage devices, supporting
>>      tapes, vtapes, RAIT, and Amazon S3
>>    * New perl modules link directly to Amanda, to support writing
>>      Amanda applications in Perl. Perl module are installed by default
>>      in the perl installsitelib directory. It can be changed with
>>      'configure --with-amperldir'.    * New 'local' security driver
>>      supports backups of the amanda server without any network
>>      connection or other configuration.
>>    * Almost 200 unit tests are available via 'make installcheck'.
>>    * Amanda configuration file changes
>>          o amanda.conf changes
>>                + flush-threshold-dumped
>>                + flush-threshold-scheduled