Amanda-Users

Re: multiple drives, one config?

2007-08-23 15:02:24
Subject: Re: multiple drives, one config?
From: "Paul Lussier" <pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com>
To: "Marc Muehlfeld" <Marc.Muehlfeld AT medizinische-genetik DOT de>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 12:13:23 -0400
"Marc Muehlfeld" <Marc.Muehlfeld AT medizinische-genetik DOT de> writes:

> hi,
>
> Paul Lussier schrieb:
>> Is it possible to have amanda use both of these drives simultaneously
>> so my writing-to-tape phase goes faster?
>
> Currently you can't write simultaneously with a single configuration at
> the same time.

That's a shame.

> Chg-multi is something that may help you. But it doesn't work with
> different sized tapedrives, because there is only one tapetype
> option you can specify.
> http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Changers#chg-multi_.28formerly_chg-generic.29

Different sized drives isn't an issue, both are LTO3.  I'll take a
look at this, but I'm not sure it's a good fit.

>> Alternatively, can I write the same data to both drives such that I
>> create a duplicate tape set (one to keep on site, one to send off ?).
>
> You can setup RAIT:
> http://www.amanda.org/docs/rait.html
> http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/How_To:Set_Up_RAIT_(Redundant_Array_of_Independent_Tapes)
>
> But currently only 3 or 5 drive sets are supported.

I'm not looking to do RAIT, unless there's a RAIT-mirror option.

I could, I suppose, have a second set of tapes in the library, and
when amdump finishes, run dd from one tape to another, but it would
seem to be preferable to write the data once to both drives
simultaneously (i.e. mirrored tapes).  That doesn't sound possible
though.

--
Thanks,
Paul