Amanda-Users

Re: Question to: Friday tape question - Top 10

2007-08-01 10:07:56
Subject: Re: Question to: Friday tape question - Top 10
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 09:58:02 -0400
On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 07:25:00AM +0200, Ralf Auer wrote:

> > Why with such a tight setup do you have runtapes set to
> > greater than 1.  With only 1 tape allowed per day you would
> > have gotten a failure to backup that DLE that did not fit.
> > This would have been noticed by amanda during the estimate
> > phase, before the dump started and noted in the report.
>
> That is not true, maybe. Since the data of that one client could be on
> several hard disks, it would be possible to backup the client to several
> tapes, as long as all the single HDs are smaller than the tape capacity.

Not sure I know what part you feel is not true.  You hypothesised
a situation where normally every day's dump fit on one tape.  Then
on one particular day a single DLE grew enough to cause the day's
run to require 3 tapes.  That would only happen if that one DLE
were now larger than a single tape (even for an incremental as the
scenario is constructed).  With runtapes == 1, amanda would not
even start the dump of that DLE.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)