Amanda-Users

Re: Question to: Friday tape question - Top 10

2007-08-01 15:04:37
Subject: Re: Question to: Friday tape question - Top 10
From: Ralf Auer <Ralf.Auer AT physik.uni-erlangen DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 20:55:59 +0200
Hi Jon,

> Not sure I know what part you feel is not true.  You hypothesised
> a situation where normally every day's dump fit on one tape.  Then
> on one particular day a single DLE grew enough to cause the day's
> run to require 3 tapes.  That would only happen if that one DLE
> were now larger than a single tape (even for an incremental as the
> scenario is constructed).  With runtapes == 1, amanda would not
> even start the dump of that DLE.

Maybe I am completely wrong, but I thought, if the big dump is
distributed over several partitions, each one with a single entry in the
disklist and each partition size smaller than the tape capacity, the
backup should work.
For instance, my type capacity is 400GB, the specific client has three
partitions of 350GB each and each partition has its own entry in the
disklist. So I assumed, that one partition backup would go to the first
tape, anther one to the second and the third one onto the last tape.
Since 'tape spawning' is not necessary in this case, I thought that the
backup would be run by Amanda. But, as I said, I am not sure about that
and probably you're right...

        Ralf