Amanda-Users

Re: Anybody having experience with Dell LT2000 or LT4000 tape changer?

2007-08-01 10:28:15
Subject: Re: Anybody having experience with Dell LT2000 or LT4000 tape changer?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 10:18:34 -0400
On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 10:22:42AM +0200, Cyrille Bollu wrote:
> Thanks for the whole story Jon.
>
> Do you see something I should take care of before buying one of these 2
> tape library?
>
> Here are some documentation about these:
>
> http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pvaul_tl2000?c=uk&cs=RC1077915&s=pub&~tab=specstab
> http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pvaul_tl4000?c=uk&cs=RC1077915&s=pub&~tab=specstab
> http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/stor%2Dsys/tl2k4k/en/ug/ug_en.pdf

One is twice the size of the other (drive and tape capacity and price :),
so I wouldn't have thought they would be considered for the same purchase.

In the 2003 survey only one library/drive out of forty one
was a Dell.  Don't know if the more recent survey listed makes.

I've not used Dell tape equipment.  I've heard neither bad comment,
nor strong endorsement for it.  Maybe others will offer opinions.

When I attempted to buy a used Dell LTO library from eBay,
it was apparent that it would be tough to get a great deal.
Too many people wanted the same items so the prices were
not as low as I was willing to bid.  Could indicate quality
is high or demand is high for other reasons.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)