Amanda-Users

Re: Slow performance with dump + LVM

2007-01-23 22:08:52
Subject: Re: Slow performance with dump + LVM
From: Ross Vandegrift <ross AT kallisti DOT us>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 21:56:25 -0500
On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 01:01:38AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Well, since dump works at the partition level, it may be that dump and LVM
> aren't compatible.  Switch to tar, which is file oriented & see what
> happens.

Looks like I'm hitting nearly the same speed situation.  I backed up
7932MiB in 2460 seconds (I got impatient...) which comes out to about
3-4MiB/s.

Since tar behaves the same way, I think I'm going to play around with
various record sizes when reading from LVM.  Something in the blokc
layer is shooting my transfer rates.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross AT kallisti DOT us