Amanda-Users

Slow performance with dump + LVM

2007-01-23 00:37:16
Subject: Slow performance with dump + LVM
From: Ross Vandegrift <ross AT kallisti DOT us>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 00:25:07 -0500
Hi everyone,

I'm working on setting up some Amanda backups at my house and have run
into a serious performance problem.  Both the client and the server
machine are using LVM2 for their disks.  Though there's 320GiB of data
to backup, this is a bit ridiculous:

sendbackup: time 8008.486:  87:  normal(|):   DUMP: 8.07% done at 3472 kB/s,
finished in 24:40

I've done tons of dumps to LVM volumes on a server with no speed
problems, so I'm investigating the client.  dumping on the client to
/dev/null gives nearly the same performance, so I'm confident that
it's an issue with dump + LVM on the client. [1]

The client is all but idle, not doing compression/encryption, and only
has two PVs in the VG, both of which are fast SATA disks.  If I
increase the blocksize of dump to 64kiB (the largest the manpage says
is smart), performance gets better, in the range of 15-20M/s.

Has anyone seen performance this bad from dump before?  Is there
some tunable to get things running a little faster?  24 hours of a
full backup seems just terrible....

[1] - So yea, technically this the wrong place to ask, the LVM mailing
lists seem to be all but completely dead.  On the other hand, lots of
people know stuff about dump here!

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross AT kallisti DOT us