Amanda-Users

incremental dumps

2007-01-22 15:16:54
Subject: incremental dumps
From: Sergei Shinkarev <sergei AT cs.utk DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 14:32:42 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

I've been struggling trying to get Amanda to do incremental dumps. It seems no matter what I try to do Amanda will always do a level 0. I've looked through the log files and I there aren't any related warnings or errors that I could see. The tapes I'm using (LTO-3-400) do have the capacity to store all the level 0 dumps on one tape, however that takes over 24 hours to finish dumping which prevents me from running nightly backups. Below are the relevant portions of the config files, if anyone has seen something similar before or has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.

---

###   Amanda config file

org "icl"          # your organization name for reports

dumpcycle 28          # the number of days in the normal dump cycle

#runspercycle 20       # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days

tapecycle 90 tapes   # the number of tapes in rotation
# WARNING: don't use `inf' for tapecycle, it's broken!

bumpsize 20 Mb       # minimum savings (threshold) to bump level 1 -> 2

bumpdays 1           # minimum days at each level

bumpmult 4           # threshold = bumpsize * bumpmult^(level-1)

runtapes 1 # number of tapes to be used in a single run of amdump

inparallel 10

dumporder "BTBTBTBTBT" # specify the priority order of each dumper
                                 #   s -> smallest size
                                 #   S -> biggest size
                                 #   t -> smallest time
                                 #   T -> biggest time
                                 #   b -> smallest bandwitdh
                                 #   B -> biggest bandwitdh
# try "BTBTBTBTBTBT" if you are not holding
                                 # disk constrained

netusage 9000 kbps # maximum net bandwidth for Amanda, in KB per sec

etimeout 600 # number of seconds per filesystem for estimates.

dtimeout 3600 # number of idle seconds before a dump is aborted.

reserve 30 # percent # This means save at least 30% of the holding disk space for degraded

columnspec "Disk=1:35,OrigKB=1:12,OutKB=1:12,DumpTime=1:6,DumpRate=1:6,TapeTime=1:6,TapeRate=1:6"