Amanda-Users

Query about full backups

2007-01-22 05:31:29
Subject: Query about full backups
From: Yogesh Hasabnis <yhmail29 AT yahoo.co DOT in>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 01:49:17 -0800 (PST)
Hi All,

As per the AMANDA faqs, "AMANDA spreads full backups
along the dumpcycle, so you wont' have any full-only
or incremental-only runs."

What I understand from this is that if you have
multiple filesystems on multiple hosts to be backed up
in an AMANDA dumpcycle, AMANDA will take care of
spreading the full backups of different
areas/filesystems on different days so that it is not
overloaded on weekends for doing the full backups
(Correct me if I am wrong). However in my case, I have
only one area or one filesystem on one host to be
backed up. Data created by all users which needs to be
backed up is stored by them under one directory on a
central file server, which will be backed up by
AMANDA. Now in this case, how will AMANDA spread the
full and the incremental backup load (because it has
only one area to be backed up in the whole dumpcycle)?

Thanks in advance.

Yogesh

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html