Amanda-Users

Re: Query about full backups

2007-01-30 10:10:24
Subject: Re: Query about full backups
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:59:15 -0500
On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 01:16:34AM -0600, Frank Smith wrote:
> Yogesh Hasabnis wrote:
> > --- Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com> wrote:

> >> backups
> >> full-only

> >> backed up
> >> not
> >> have
> >> to be
> >> the
> >> has
> >> dumpcycle)?
> >>
> >> Yes, if you have only one DLE Amanda obviously can't
> >> spread
> >> its full dump over several days.  You could use tar
> >> instead
> >> of dump, and make each subdirectory a separate DLE,
> >> then the
> >> fulls could be spread out.
> >
> > Thanks for the reply. So if I only have one DLE, will
> > the full backup always take place on a particular day
> > and will only incremental backups be taken on the
> > remaining days? Or will it be handled in some
> > different way?
>
> dumpcycle is just the maximum time between fulls.  Amanda
> often schedules them sooner if it thinks it will level out
> daily tape usage.  I don't know how it handles a single
> DLE, as that is not really what it was designed for.
>    If you really want it to always be the same day, you
> might be able to force it with a maxpromoteday setting,
> but it may be easier to just use two configs, an always-full
> one that runs on the prefered day, and an incremental-only
> one that runs on the other days.

I'm nearly certain that an amadmin "force" will override
the increment only setting.  Given that, you could have
a single config that does increment only and a cronjob
that once a week does the amadmin force to generate
the full dump on the day desired.

The main problem with such schemes is the lack of a
full dump if the system was down when it was desired.
Normal amanda scheduling would realize one was missed
and automatically schedule the full dump on a
"non-standard" day of the week.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)