Amanda-Users

Re: MAILER configuration

2007-01-11 10:31:32
Subject: Re: MAILER configuration
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:22:29 -0500
On Thursday 11 January 2007 09:42, Thomas Steiger wrote:
>I have a question about sending mails in amanda. For example the
> 'amcheck -m <config>' command sends a mail if any errors are detected.
> The log file amcheck.<datestampe>.debug shows me the following content:
>   amcheck: spawning /usr/bin/Mail in pipeline
>   amcheck: argument list: /usr/bin/Mail -s "<config> AMANDA PROBLEM:
> FIX BEFORE RUN, IF POSSIBLE" xyz@domain.
>
>I assume that amcheck sends the mail under the user amanda (as
> configured by compilation) but it seems that the personal config file
> for the MAILER (~/.mailrc) will not be used to send the mail. In the
> sendmail log i can find the following error:
>   ruleset=trust_auth, arg1=amanda@domain, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1],
>reject=550 5.7.1 <amanda@domain>... not    authenticated
>
>But if i use the following command on the shell to send a mail (under
> the user amanda):
>/usr/bin/Mail -s "<config> AMANDA PROBLEM: FIX BEFORE RUN, IF POSSIBLE"
>xyz@domain
>everything goes fine.
>
>The contents of the file .mailrc is:
>   set smtp=smtp://localhost
>   set smtp-auth=login
>   set smtp-auth-user=userxyz
>   set smtp-auth-password=**************
>

>Does anybody know how i can configure amanda so that the mailer uses the
>smtp auth configuration?

I don't know how to answer this question other than by my working example.

I have the statement in my user amanda's crontab that states:
MAILTO=amanda, and everything that this crontab does is in fact mailed to
root AT coyote.coyote DOT den, showing its from amanda AT coyote.coyote DOT den
according to the received headers.

kmail in turn, has a local amanda account that fetches
from /var/spool/mail/amanda, and I read it as root.  Its all on the same
machine, so I don't believe any smtp authorization is 'getting in the
way'.  If you are doing this over a piece of cat5, then obviously I'm
just so much noise, sorry.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: