Amanda-Users

Re: Partial results in planner

2007-01-06 18:49:03
Subject: Re: Partial results in planner
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, David Stillion <dave AT zone64 DOT net>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 18:41:56 -0500
On Saturday 06 January 2007 17:33, David Stillion wrote:
>I believe I've solved the issue with the "planner: partial result".
>While it appeared Amanda was attempting to do the backup, it really
>couldn't because the disklist was misconfigured.   My initial
>understanding on reading the docs was that I could use the device path
>ie /dev/hdaX to indicate what data I wanted to backup.  When I changed
>these to a filesystem path /, ..../home and so forth, amdump was more
>successful.

dump works only on a whole partition whereas tar works by pathlist.
So if you have a partition that's larger than the tape, its not going to
get very far.

I prefer tar myself but that's as much personal as scientific.

Advise then is to use tar, and try to setup the disklist such that no one
tarball is going to be more than 10% of a tape.

And, to help amanda's scheduler when first starting up, only un-comment
about 2/3rds of a tapes worth each night until its all exposed because
when you first add an active entry, amanda must do a full backup of it in
order to have a reference to determine whats new the next night.

Its also nearly an ironclad requirement that you have a holding disk area
defined that is at least the tapes size, and preferably much larger.

>However, I have a new error message for which I can not find any info.
> This message is part of the amstatus output for the set:
>
>        planner: [dumps too big, 3319760 KB, but cannot incremental
>dump new disk]

This was the important line for this particular problem.

> If you need more info let me know and I can send the entire amstatus
>output.
>
>Thanks
>
>On Friday 05 January 2007 8:57 pm, David Stillion wrote:
>> I did my first backup after installing Amanda and all seemed to go
>> well except there was only a little bit of data that was actually
>> backed up.
>>
>> It appears that the planner was unable to determine the amount of data
>> on the 3 disks in the backup set.  Here is an excerpt from the amdump
>> log file:
>>
>> SETTING UP FOR ESTIMATES...
>> planner: time 0.002: setting up estimates for
>> buster.zone64.net:/dev/hda2 buster.zone64.net:/dev/hda2 overdue 13519
>> days for level 0
>> setup_estimate: buster.zone64.net:/dev/hda2: command 0, options: none
>> last_level -1 next_level0 -13519 level_days 0    getting estimates 0
>> (-2) -1 (-2) -1 (-2)
>> planner: time 0.003: setting up estimates for
>> buster.zone64.net:/dev/hda3 buster.zone64.net:/dev/hda3 overdue 13519
>> days for level 0
>> setup_estimate: buster.zone64.net:/dev/hda3: command 0, options: none
>> last_level -1 next_level0 -13519 level_days 0    getting estimates 0
>> (-2) -1 (-2) -1 (-2)
>> planner: time 0.003: setting up estimates for
>> buster.zone64.net:/dev/hda6 buster.zone64.net:/dev/hda6 overdue 13519
>> days for level 0
>> setup_estimate: buster.zone64.net:/dev/hda6: command 0, options: none
>> last_level -1 next_level0 -13519 level_days 0    getting estimates 0
>> (-2) -1 (-2) -1 (-2)
>> planner: time 0.003: setting up estimates took 0.000 secs
>>
>> GETTING ESTIMATES...
>> driver: pid 4883 executable /usr/libexec/driver version 2.4.5
>> driver: tape size 4096000
>> driver: send-cmd time 0.005 to taper: START-TAPER 20070105
>> driver: adding holding disk 0 dir /data/amanda/tmp/dumps size 35059852
>> chunksize 512000
>> reserving 35059852 out of 35059852 for degraded-mode dumps
>> driver: started dumper0 pid 4885
>> driver: started dumper1 pid 4886
>> driver: started dumper2 pid 4887
>> planner: time 0.049: got partial result for host buster.zone64.net
>> disk /dev/hda6: 0 -> -2K, -1 -> -2K, -1 -> -2K
>> planner: time 0.050: got partial result for host buster.zone64.net
>> disk /dev/hda3: 0 -> -2K, -1 -> -2K, -1 -> -2K
>> planner: time 0.050: got partial result for host buster.zone64.net
>> disk /dev/hda2: 0 -> -2K, -1 -> -2K, -1 -> -2K
>>
>> So far I've found this issue talked about by one other user.  She said
>> it was a problem with the version of tar she was using.  She is
>> running RHEL4. I'm running Gentoo 2006.0 on both my server and
>> workstation.   Has anyone else run into this problem?
>>
>> Let me know and thanks.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: