Amanda-Users

Re: Partial results in planner

2007-01-06 18:38:09
Subject: Re: Partial results in planner
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: David Stillion <dave AT zone64 DOT net>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 17:31:27 -0600
David Stillion wrote:
> I believe I've solved the issue with the "planner: partial result".
> While it appeared Amanda was attempting to do the backup, it really
> couldn't because the disklist was misconfigured.   My initial
> understanding on reading the docs was that I could use the device path
> ie /dev/hdaX to indicate what data I wanted to backup.  When I changed
> these to a filesystem path /, ..../home and so forth, amdump was more
> successful.
>
> However, I have a new error message for which I can not find any info.
>  This message is part of the amstatus output for the set:
>
>         planner: [dumps too big, 3319760 KB, but cannot incremental
> dump new disk]

'dumps too big' means Amanda thinks that the size of a full dump of
that filesystem is larger than the space available to dump it to.
If runtapes = 1 or if tape spanning is not enabled, then it means
your dump is larger than your tape length.  If runtapes > 1 and spanning
is enabled, then it means dump > ( runtapes * tape lenght ).
   What size is the filesystem and how big are your tapes (or vtapes)?
If you think it should fit, either the estimate is wrong (check your
logs for the estimated size), you are backing up more than you think
(some tar versions incorrectly cross filesystem boundaries, or your
excludes aren't what you think they are), or perhaps your config is
not what you think it is .
   The "can't incremental" part of the message just lets you know
that while normally a lack of tape space would just cause Amanda to
delay the full and do a smaller incremental instead, it can't do that
in this case since there is no previous full dump to base the incremental
on.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673