Amanda-Users

Amcheck host name lookup problem

2006-12-09 14:08:45
Subject: Amcheck host name lookup problem
From: Don Murray <samba AT geeksrus DOT ca>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 10:54:12 -0800

Hello again,

I am adding new hosts/DLE to my amanda backup configuration. I have been backing up some partitions for a few weeks with no problem. I have recently added a few more hosts. My current disklist looks like:

windsor         sda3 local-root         # windsor root partition
gilmore         sda1 remote-root        # gilmore root partition
imap            md1  remote-root        # imap root partition
fs2             /dev/hda3 remote-root   # fs2 root partition
asterisk        sda2 remote-root        # asterisk root partition

Windsor is the amanda server.
Gilmore, imap, fs2 and asterisk are all linux hosts.
I had 2 problems when I ran amcheck.
1) when I used just "hda3" for the parition on fs2, amcheck error says
ERROR: fs2: [could not access hda3 (hda3): No such file or directory]
But when I switch this to hda1 there is no problem. I have double checked that hda3 does exist :) hda1 is the /boot partition, hda3 is the / partition. When I switch the DLE to /dev/hda3 it returns no error. I have not run this backup yet and I have a feeling its going to just backup the directory /dev/hda3 (which will just show up as a single node?).

2) the other problem I have is that the asterisk host has the following error:
ERROR: asterisk: [addr 192.168.0.63: hostname lookup failed]
We are using a YP system. I can do a "ypcat hosts.byname" and I can see the asterisk host. I can't see any reason why this host should be considered different from the other ones that are successful, such as fs2, imap and gilmore. Does anyone have any experience with these kinds of errors and can give me some advice on them?

The backup did run successfully on the other remote file systems.

Thanks,
Don Murray