Amanda-Users

next tape and next new tape info in reports

2006-12-09 02:46:37
Subject: next tape and next new tape info in reports
From: René Kanters <rkanters AT richmond DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 09:41:25 -0500
Hi,

I am getting confused (so what's new) about the first three lines a report emailed by amdump sends me. I did several dumps in a row and got these results.

These dumps were to tape DAILY-3.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: DAILY-14.
The next new tape already labelled is: DAILY-4.

These dumps were to tape DAILY-4.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: DAILY-14.
The next new tape already labelled is: DAILY-5.

These dumps were to tape DAILY-1.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: DAILY-14.
The next new tape already labelled is: DAILY-5.

Notice that Amanda does not use DIALY-14 (I had labeled and formatted 14 tapes in the beginning and the first dump I did on this went to that tape). Later I changed the tapecycle to 4 (since I am still testing, I decided having to wait 14 days to see how it all pans out is a bit long). The fact that it doesn't use DIALY-5 is fine since the tapecycle is only 4 long and I did label 14 tapes.

So is the take-home message that I should just ignore that second line about the next tape Amanda expects to use?

René