Amanda-Users

Re: Need help backing up RHEL4 client with Debian tapehost

2006-12-05 12:41:40
Subject: Re: Need help backing up RHEL4 client with Debian tapehost
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 12:31:22 -0500
On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 11:50:52AM -0500, Zembower, Kevin enlightened us:
> Matt, you're amazing. I don't know which of the two commands did it, but
> it works now, at least minimally.
>
> I didn't know about the chkconfig command; I'll have to investigate it.

It configures which services start on what runlevel. It also conveniently
manages xinetd resources. I'm guessing there was a

  disable = yes;

in your amanda xinetd script.

> I HUPped xinet with 'kill HUP <pid-of-xinet>' and also
> '/etc/init.d/xinet reload', but that might not have done the same as
> 'service xinetd restart'

You did it the hard way :-)

service foo args is equivalent to /etc/init.d/foo args

Less typing involved, generally.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak