Amanda-Users

Re: Upgrade failure?

2006-12-04 17:43:46
Subject: Re: Upgrade failure?
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Gardiner Leverett <leverett AT mobiusmicro DOT com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 16:33:58 -0600
Gardiner Leverett wrote:
-----Original Message-----

Hi,

how is /mnt/usbdrive mounted? Amanda automatically runs the native filesystem dump program. It will run xfsdump for XFS filesystems, vxdump for Veritas filesystems, vdump for AdvFS (Tru64), dump for other filesystems.
I suspect dump cannot hanlde /mnt/usbdrive.
Consider using gnutar instead. See http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Backup_client#Backup_programs

The filesystem is ext3. It worked with dump normally until I upgraded Amanda. Here's something I noticed: the amdump usually runs unattended over a weekend. To test, I'll run manually and check the progress
throughout the day.  Before the upgrade, it would backup this
disk (about 122G) in about 4 hours (the server and client are directly connected via a cross-over cable, so there's no other traffic the two have to deal with). After the upgrade, when I run the manual test, it stops at 320M, and I get all the dump and index errors. (why exactly at 320M?).
Have you tried unmounting and fsck'ing it?  It may just be a coincidence
that it became corrupted the same day you upgraded Amanda.

Also try running dump manually and see if it completes.  That would
narrow down the possibilities of where the problem is occurring.

Frank
('vacationing' at LISA)