Amanda-Users

Re: Failed dumps with new amanda client

2006-06-20 17:52:24
Subject: Re: Failed dumps with new amanda client
From: up AT 3 DOT am
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 16:27:44 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 at 10:35am, up AT 3 DOT am wrote
>
> > On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>
> >> I'd be awfully suspicious that you're running with hardware compression
> >> enabled (quite possibly unbeknownest to you).
> >
> > That doesn't really make sense to me...if that were the case, wouldn't it
> > affect all of the clients?  In any case, I manually turn off the hardware
> > compression before every backup.  One thing that has me curious is this:
>
> Yes, it would affect all the clients.  All the (already) compressed data
> going to tape would be hardware "compressed" by the drive, making it
> expand and take up more tape space.  Therefore, even though amanda only
> saw ~25GB go to tape, on tape it took up the whole 35GB.  The error you
> got (short write) typically means you hit EOT.  That happened on one
> particular client, and so that particular client failed.
>
> I don't have any experience with DLT, but I've heard tell that with some
> drives turning off hardware compression isn't always easy.
>

> > Avg Dump Rate (k/s)      1491.9     1491.9        --
> > Tape Time (hrs:min)        4:00       4:00       0:00
> >
> > That speed looks a bit slow for a DLT7000...closer to what you'd expect
> > from a DLT4000.  Is there some kind of timeout at 4 hours?
>
> Not that I'm aware of, and you didn't hit any timeout anyway -- you got a
> short write.  Regarding the speed, since you're not running with a
> holding disk, there are all sorts of things that can affect the dump/tape
> rate -- speed from the client disks, network congestion, etc.
>
> I'd start by using amtapetype to test your new drive, both for hardware
> compression and native speed.  I'd also look at adding a holding disk to
> your config, if at all possible.

Thanks for the response.  Here's what I get with amtapetype:

su-2.05a$ amtapetype -f /dev/nrsa0
Writing 256 Mbyte   compresseable data:  92 sec
Writing 256 Mbyte uncompresseable data:  90 sec
Estimated time to write 2 * 1024 Mbyte: 720 sec = 0 h 12 min
wrote 763218 32Kb blocks in 2334 files in 13153 seconds (short write)

It's going through another write at the moment, but I assume "short write"
means it isn't getting full capacity from the tape?  Not sure what those
compression stats mean, either...

James Smallacombe                     PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
up AT 3 DOT am                                                      http://3.am