Amanda-Users

Re: tar's default block size & shoe-shinning

2006-06-20 13:12:31
Subject: Re: tar's default block size & shoe-shinning
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Cyrille Bollu <Cyrille.Bollu AT fedasil DOT be>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 12:03:50 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 at 5:54pm, Cyrille Bollu wrote

There are ext3 mount options you can play with, as well as options in
the
RAID controller.  All of that can be non-destructive.  There are also
some
mke2fs options one can play with.

You're thinking about "noatime", aren't you?

noatime can help. Also, at some point there was a problem with the reservation code in ext3, so 'noreservation' helped, but I'm pretty sure that was RHEL4 only.

What else? block-size at filesystem creation? bytes-per-inodes?

The one I was thinking of was '-E stride=', which attempts to align writes with your RAID stripes.

I think the options of my RAID controller are rights. Except maybe that
its read-policy mode is set to "adaptive" instead of "read-ahead only".
And I could also increase the strip size from 64k to 128k.

For my megaraid in RAID1 mode (2 disks only), I found (through a lot of trial and error) that the best setup was read-ahead (not adaptive), CachedIO, and WriteBack (it's got a BBU).

However, I doubt that only tweaking these parameters will give me the
performance boost I need.

Actually, I do recall a signifcant amount of performance difference tweaking the controller parameters, and that with only 2 disks.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering