Amanda-Users

Re: Failed dumps with new amanda client

2006-06-20 11:47:53
Subject: Re: Failed dumps with new amanda client
From: up AT 3 DOT am
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:35:19 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 at 6:45pm, up AT 3 DOT am wrote
>
> >  taper: tape FULL0 kb 24499968 fm 9 writing file: short write
> >
> *snip*
> >
> > define tapetype DLT7000 {
> >
> >    comment "DEC/Quantum DLT7000 tape drive, hardware compression turned
> > off"
> >    length 35000 mbytes
> >    filemark 8 kbytes
> >    speed 5 mbytes
> > }
>
> I'd be awfully suspicious that you're running with hardware compression
> enabled (quite possibly unbeknownest to you).

That doesn't really make sense to me...if that were the case, wouldn't it
affect all of the clients?  In any case, I manually turn off the hardware
compression before every backup.  One thing that has me curious is this:

Avg Dump Rate (k/s)      1491.9     1491.9        --
Tape Time (hrs:min)        4:00       4:00       0:00

That speed looks a bit slow for a DLT7000...closer to what you'd expect
from a DLT4000.  Is there some kind of timeout at 4 hours?

James Smallacombe                     PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
up AT 3 DOT am                                                      http://3.am