Amanda-Users

Re: tar's default block size & shoe-shinning

2006-06-19 12:18:20
Subject: Re: tar's default block size & shoe-shinning
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:09:58 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 at 10:06am, Michael Loftis wrote

--On June 19, 2006 10:59:58 AM -0400 Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu> wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 at 4:31pm, Cyrille Bollu wrote

In a configuration where amanda only backup local (SCSI) drives, are
there any benefits from using a holding disk?

Not that I can think of.  And especially with an LTO3 drive, it's really
only going to hurt you.

Actually with AMANDA it might be a really good idea esp. with the faster drives because there's no way you can keep them streaming over the network.

Erm, I think you missed the bit where he said he's only backing up disks local to the backup server (and thus the tape drive). No network involved.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering