Amanda-Users

Re: Restore WO Amanda, what am I doing wrong?

2006-03-31 12:37:48
Subject: Re: Restore WO Amanda, what am I doing wrong?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Gordon.Mills AT usa DOT net
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:34:29 -0500
On Friday 31 March 2006 11:54, Gordon J. Mills III wrote:

I've put this back on the list for others to study.

>> off of the

>Snip.....
>
>> I've made note that the backups amanda makes do not reliably
>> contain all the files in the /config/ directory, or in the
>> indices dir tree.  Files are open and locked etc I guess.
>>
>> My solution to that was to wrap the amdump command in a
>> script, that, when amdump is finished, makes a tarball of
>> both the /config/ dir, and of the indices directory and saves
>> them to the same tape (or in my case, vtape now) as the rest
>> of the nights backup.  This way, I am assured of an accurate,
>> 100% uptodate database and config to use for recovery
>> operations.  A bare metal reinstall, dd, gzip & tar to get
>> the /home starting at least a dumpcycle back & bring it
>> forward, reinstall amanda from that recovered /home/amanda,
>> unpack those last 2 files from the last good backup, and
>> voila!  Amanda can handle it from there.
>
>By config directory I presume you mean like "/etc/amanda/Daily"?

If that is where you put it when amanda was "./configured"

>And where is the indices directory?

And that is specified in the amanda.conf file, like this:

------------snip from amanda.conf--------------
# Amanda needs a few Mb of diskspace for the log and debug files,
# as well as a database.  This stuff can grow large, so the conf
# directory isn't usually appropriate.  Some sites use /usr/local/var
# and some /usr/adm.
# Create an amanda directory under there.  You need a separate infofile
# and logdir for each configuration, so create subdirectories for each
# conf and put the files there.  Specify the locations below.

# Note that, although the keyword below is infofile, it is only so for
# historic reasons, since now it is supposed to be a directory (unless
# you have selected some database format other than the `text' default)
infofile "/usr/local/var/amanda/Daily/curinfo"  # database DIRECTORY
logdir   "/usr/local/var/amanda/Daily"          # log directory
indexdir "/usr/local/var/amanda/Daily/index"    # index directory
tapelist "/usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/tapelist" # list of used tapes
# tapelist is stored, by default, in the directory that contains
amanda.conf

Which should explain it.  You're welcome to a copy of the script I use
if you'd like, just yell.  It checks to see what it was called when
invoked and modifies its behaviour accordingly.  You would need to edit
it for some of the paths, or to extract those paths from the
amanda.conf, one of those things the infamous shoemaker never did get
around to building for his kids :)

>Thanks,
>Gordon

message by Gene Heskett are: