Amanda-Users

RE: Restore WO Amanda, what am I doing wrong?

2006-03-31 14:26:37
Subject: RE: Restore WO Amanda, what am I doing wrong?
From: "Gordon J. Mills III" <Gordon.Mills AT usa DOT net>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:21:59 -0600
> >By config directory I presume you mean like "/etc/amanda/Daily"?
>
> If that is where you put it when amanda was "./configured"
>
> >And where is the indices directory?
>
> And that is specified in the amanda.conf file, like this:
>
> ------------snip from amanda.conf-------------- # Amanda
> needs a few Mb of diskspace for the log and debug files, # as
> well as a database.  This stuff can grow large, so the conf #
> directory isn't usually appropriate.  Some sites use
> /usr/local/var # and some /usr/adm.
> # Create an amanda directory under there.  You need a
> separate infofile # and logdir for each configuration, so
> create subdirectories for each # conf and put the files
> there.  Specify the locations below.
>
> # Note that, although the keyword below is infofile, it is
> only so for # historic reasons, since now it is supposed to
> be a directory (unless # you have selected some database
> format other than the `text' default) infofile
> "/usr/local/var/amanda/Daily/curinfo"  # database DIRECTORY
> logdir   "/usr/local/var/amanda/Daily"          # log directory
> indexdir "/usr/local/var/amanda/Daily/index"    # index directory
> tapelist "/usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/tapelist" # list of
> used tapes # tapelist is stored, by default, in the directory
> that contains amanda.conf
> --------------------------
>
> Which should explain it.  You're welcome to a copy of the
> script I use if you'd like, just yell.  It checks to see what
> it was called when invoked and modifies its behaviour
> accordingly.  You would need to edit it for some of the
> paths, or to extract those paths from the amanda.conf, one of
> those things the infamous shoemaker never did get around to
> building for his kids :)

Thanks for the help Gene. I have addded a couple of lines to my backup
script that look like this:

# backup the amanda files in case of backup server crash
tar -czf /home/myhome/serverA.tar.gz /var/lib/amanda/ /etc/amandahosts
/etc/amandapass /etc/amanda/ /var/log/amanda/
scp -2pi /location/of/keyfile /home/myhome/serverA.tar.gz
myuser@anotherserver:/home/myhome/

Does that look like it will get all the necessary files? I wouldn't mind
taking a look at your script too :-). Also, this is on a Debian system and
all of the files are in the default location for the debian packages
(2.4.5p1).

Regards,
Gordon