Amanda-Users

Re: how to split partitions

2006-03-31 07:39:23
Subject: Re: how to split partitions
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 07:35:10 -0500
On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 01:26:31PM +0200, listrcv enlightened us:
> Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>
> >>As promised, I updated the wiki docs on this topic, see
> >>http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Backing_up_large_amounts_of_data.
> >

> >Thanks for contributing, I just added some minor corrections.
>
> Thanks, that looks better now :) One thing I think that is missing is an
> explanation of the difference between:
>
>   include
>   include append
>
>   exclude
>   exclude append
>
> I would guess that 'append' tells amanda something like 'you should
> append this to the previous dumps of that mountpoint rather than
> considering it seperate', but I don't know. Also, the self-consistency
> is dubious since amanda seems to consider /home/wanda as a part of /home
> --- or maybe not. It would be nice if someone could shed a light on the
> logic behind that.

It merely means "append this to the previous {in,ex}clude I just gave you".
Makes for easier reading. If you did:

  include ./foo
  include ./bar

your include list would be "./bar" (second include overrides the first)

If you did:

  include ./foo
  include append ./bar

your include list would be "./foo ./bar" (second include is appended to the
first)

Matt
--
Matt Hyclak