Amanda-Users

Re: how to split partitions

2006-03-17 11:10:01
Subject: Re: how to split partitions
From: listrcv <listrcv AT condor-werke DOT com>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:04:20 +0100
Paul Bijnens wrote:
On 2006-03-17 13:36, listrcv wrote:

dumper: FATAL error [dumper PORT-DUMP: too many args: 19 != 12]

Besides the error (no spaces allowed in include/exclude strings),
the word "PORT-DUMP" here in this context indicates that this
dump is bypassing the holdingdisk.

That's another thing good to know :)

This has a dramatic effect on the lifetime of your tapes and tapedrive!

Yes, the problem is that the holding disk is too small to hold the larger dumps. I have set up a second directory now to be used as a holding disk and allowed amanda to use more space than a single tape has capacity. The tapes hold 80 GB uncompressed, and the usable holding disk space totals to 94 GB now --- that should suffice. I might have to add another hard drive once there's not enough space left to be used for amanda ...

As for the wear on the tapes and the tape drive, the drive can adjust its speed (within limits) to the rate data is supplied. Being a dual Opteron server, the server is fortunately fast enough for not to stall the drive.

Backup times will become a concern when the amount of data to be backed up about doubles. It will take quite some time before that happens. Once the modified amanda setup works, I'll add another server or two to be backed up via the network, and I'll have to see what that does to the backup times. But I doubt it'll be a problem yet.

In any case, I think splitting large dumps into many small ones will already make for a great improvement. I should have done that earlier ...

GH