Amanda-Users

Re: how to split partitions

2006-03-17 11:56:05
Subject: Re: how to split partitions
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:52:38 -0500
On Friday 17 March 2006 07:36, listrcv wrote:
>Paul Bijnens wrote:
>> Try this:
>>
>> prometheus   /home/ALL_a   /home  {
>>                                           tar-dfault-no-x
>>                       include "./a*"
>>                   }  1
>> prometheus   /home/ALL_b   /home  {
>>                       tar-dfault-no-x
>>                       include "./b*"
>>                   }  1
>> ... etc etc ...
>> prometheus   /home/ALL_z   /home  {
>>                       tar-dfault-no-x
>>                       include "./z*"
>>                   }  1
>> prometheus   /home/REST    /home  {
>>                       tar-dfault-no-x
>>                       exclude append "./[a-z]*"
>>                    }  1
>
>The following does _not_ work as it should:
>

>prometheus      /share_dbvnr /share {
>   tar-dfault
>   include "./db-vnr"
>}       1
>
>prometheus      /share_edv /share {
>   tar-dfault
>   include "./edv"
>}       1
>
>prometheus      /share_programs /share {
>   tar-dfault
>   include "./programs"
>}       1
>
>prometheus      /share_rest /share {
>   tar-dfault
>   exclude append "./cpc ./cs ./data ./db-vnr ./edv ./programs"
>}       1

I could well be full of it but I believe your last one here, needs to be
the first one.  This is so the excludes given here, can be overrridden
by the subsequent entries.  It seems to me I run into a similar
situation here, now serveral years ago that required I shuffle the
order of the entries to make it work.

Amanda only reads the file once, and the last command it gets overrides
earlier ones, hence your includes are then excluded.  Or at least that
was the effect I observed.

>It will dump the subdirectories as specified, but excluding the
>subdirectories results in another dump of everything under /share
> which I don't want because it will no longer fit on a single tape
> soon.
>
>This is probably because tar is being told to archive /share and to
>exclude the directories listed which will result in archieving them
>nonetheless, exactly as it was in the testing of tar options I did
>yesterday.
>
>How do I catch the rest?

Test fire the above suggestion?

>It does work for backing up /home:
>

>[...]
>prometheus /home_y /home {
>   tar-dfault
>   include "./y*"
>}       1
>
>prometheus /home_z /home {
>   tar-dfault
>   include "./z*"
>}       1
>
>prometheus /home_rest /home {
>   tar-dfault
>   exclude append "./[a-z]*"
>}       1
>

>How comes that it works for /home but not for /share? I have stopped
>using wildcards on /share because I'm getting
>

>dumper: FATAL error [dumper PORT-DUMP: too many args: 19 != 12]
>

>in the report. My idea was that spaces in filenames give me trouble,
> but not using wildcards didn't help neither the problem with the
> number of arguments, nor dumping /share twice.
>
>How can I find out what causes the problem with the arguments?
>

>GH

message by Gene Heskett are: