Amanda-Users

Re: A question about RAIT with mixed vtapes, and physical tapes

2006-03-29 16:48:24
Subject: Re: A question about RAIT with mixed vtapes, and physical tapes
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>, amanda users list <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 22:46:50 +0200
stan schreef:
On 2006-03-29 14:58, stan wrote:
I'm setting up a new system using RAIT with one vtape, and one physical
tape in each RAIT set. I only have room on my disks for 5 vtapes, but I
have 25 tapes. I would like to just have the last 5 backup sets (one week)
on the vtapes at any one time, but rotate through all 25 physical tapes.
Can I do this?

How can I label just the physical tapes without overwrite the labels on the
vtapes?
You can label all 25 vtapes.  That does not take significant space.

And with a script you remove the files inside the data directory
of the vtape when it is no longer needed (effectively erasing
half of the mirror). But keep the label!

The label is the pair of files starting with number "00000*". Remove
all the other files of that vtape (files starting with "00001*" etc.
You may even remove the 0000x*TAPEEND pair of files: it is not strictly
needed.

So, the vtapes stay labeled the same forever, and mismatch the physical tape
labels? How does this affect the indexes?

Just the contrary.  The label on the the vtape is the only thing
that exactly matches the label on the physical tape.

Each time you write a new label (the date changes) to a (rait)-set:
for a rait with 2 members, that is a duplicate label.
If you would remove or alter only one label of the pair, then the
check that verifies the label of the current rait-set fails.