Amanda-Users

Re: Strange amverify behaviour with amanda 2.4.5

2006-03-04 12:54:37
Subject: Re: Strange amverify behaviour with amanda 2.4.5
From: Tony van der Hoff <lists AT nospam.vanderhoff DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 17:50:16 +0000
Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> wrote in message
<20060304164617.GA12095 AT butch.jgcomp DOT com>

[snip]
> Clarification please.  Does it always seem corrupted on the first taped
> image? Is that the only corrupted image.  Is that first image always the
> same DLE.

No, it is a specific directory (/boot). If I exclude it from the dump, all
is well. If I include something else (smaller, so it appears first) in the
dump, then that is verified, before things go awry.

> Reason I ask is to check if a manual dump of a DLE that consistantly
> corrupts could be used to confirm that it can be dumped successfully
> outside of amanda. Find the exact command line and try running it.  Don't
> forget to build an exclude file. :)

Not sure how to go about finding the exact command. Fortunately, this DLE
has no exclusions.

I did a dump to the holding disk, without a tape mounted, to get the image.
I then stripped of the first 32k bytes to lose the tape header, and tried to
untar the rest. That gave a corrupt file error in the failing image, but a
valid output on non-failing images. I conclude that it is the dump that's
going wrong before it gets to the taper.

I then did a gtar on the failing directory, without amdump's involvement.
This was successful.

> BTW amverify may not be doing all that much.  The dump programs are
> specific to the clients and may not be available on the tapehost.  In that
> case all amverify can do is see that the tape is readable.

In this case the tapehost and the client are one and the same.
There is an instruction in amverify that reads
RESULT=`$AMRESTORE -h -p $DEVICE 2> $TEMP/amrestore.out \
                        | doonefile 2> $TEMP/onefile.errors`
amverify enters this, but doesn't exit. It seems to have hung in amrestore.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find my way around amrestore
sufficiently to find out exactly what's happening.
Of course, this is a secondary problem, but I don't think it's very nice for
amrestore to die silently on a corupt image.

I then tried to find my way around amdump, to find the cause of the initial
problem, but I'm afraid I got totally lost, and life demanded that I turned
my attention elsewhere :(

--
Tony van der Hoff          | mailto:tony AT vanderhoff DOT org
Buckinghamshire, England